FINALLY–I finished the table!

It only took what…three weeks or so? Is that so long to be without a place to eat? LOL, with three little guys here and all the babies I watch, it was a challenge, but I am done, termindado, fini with the table. And it will stay this way until the table itself is replaced in the future.

So the basic process, in case any of you are crazy enough to give this a try (I recommend a smaller project–dining room tables are big, have leaves and  take forever as well as a beating–at least at my house!) is as follows:

  1. Prep the surface. I gave mine a good cleaning and lightly sanded the finish.
  2. Superman painted the skirt and legs and about 2 inches in from the table edge with Valspar Black Semi-Gloss Latex Enamel. I think he did two coats, but it could have been three.
  3. Once the paint had dried for a few days, it was time for the large roll of brown paper (bought it at Lowe’s). Tear it into pieces, making sure there were no straight edges. Most of the pieces in my project were around 4″ x 5″, but I went for a random look, so some are long and skinny, triangular, etc.
  4. I used a 50-50 mix of Elmers White Glue (I purchased a one gallon jug of glue at Lowe’s for about the price of a pint of pre-mixed medium) and water to make the glue medium. You can purchase Mod Podge medium, but it can be pricey for a large project. I probably used about 5 cups of glue plus 5 cups of water for my table.
  5. Dip each piece of brown paper to thoroughly coat both sides and place on the surface. Work your way out from the center. Press the bubbles out (I used my fingers). Continue layering out from your initial piece with slight overlapping so that the entire surface is covered.
  6. Let the glue dry thoroughly.
  7. This is how mine looked when all the paper was glued down. 
  8. You may find some areas that didn’t fully cover the surface, so add a few more layers following the same process as before.
  9. Let it dry AGAIN–this is a project that aids in the development of patience and perseverance. 🙂
  10. Once you are satisfied with the layering and your glue is dried, you have a decision to make: seal it as it is, or add something else.
  11. I chose to use an antique bronze craft paint to give it a little more formal look (I know–a formal look for torn brown paper? seriously!) I drizzled a stream of the paint onto the surface and ragged it until I like the effect. I also pounced the rag a bit on layer two.
  12. This is how it looked half-way through the paint process:
  13. I was pretty happy with how the paint was taking, so…I kept working on it–this paint part only took about 15 minutes total, and this paint dried rather quickly.
  14. After the paint had dried overnight, Superman applied three coats of semi-gloss polyurethane to seal it. And voilá!



11 thoughts on “FINALLY–I finished the table!

    • Thank you! For a piece of junk sitting out by the curb with only 3 legs, I am pretty happy with the way it turned out! God Bless You too!

  1. Oh, I had forgotten all about this project you had going on. So glad to see you found the time to finish amid your busy schedule with the wee ones! Looks beautiful and you should exceptionally proud of your hard work and persistence! And moreover, the table looks incredibly durable, too — which I would imagine ranks equally with elegant. 🙂


  2. Very nice. I did water and glue with 10th graders for life size sarcophagus’ – patience is the word when working with that medium.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s